NLF / Motorfly / Information for foreign or visiting pilots to Norway
George Lundberg

Information for foreign or visiting pilots to Norway

The VFR guide - Norway is a comprehensive guide issued by the Norwegian CAA that will answer most of your queries. 

Pilot store with maps and other hardware:
Internet Pilot Planning Center is a tool for finding regulations, AIP, planning, weather and NOTAMs. – This website describes local airfields, including those that are not published in the AIP. 

Frequently asked questions:

Border crossing/customs etc

As long as you file a flight plan and enter Norway from a Schengen country, you can enter and depart from airports with customs available at the time of arrival/departure. If you wish to enter Norway via local fields, there is a requirement that you forward a copy of your FPL to the Customs office. This can be done by email:, Tel: +47 22 34 66 00, or by request via the NOTAM office Tel: +47 64 81 90 00. Whichever option you choose, make sure it is done minimum 4 hrs prior to crossing the border. 

Is an ELT required equipment for flying in Norway?

The carriage of an emergency locator transmitter (ELT) are generally required when flying in Norwegian air space. However, a survival ELT – ELT(S) – or a personal locator beacon (PLB) is an option for certain operators according to Regulation on Air Operations NCO.IDE.A.170 (a) (3). 

Experimental aircraft Homebuilt aircraft with a non standard certificate of airworthiness, or a permit to fly issued by the civil authority of another ECAC member state, are authorised without a specific request. Historic aircraft and microlight aircraft require a traffic permit. For details about the necessary application, please refer to AIC N 03/15
Airfield hours of operation (flying during midnight sun) Can be found in the AIP available on IPPC, or in the Jeppesen manual.